IA Model

Model Transformation

In this project, we are presented with this scenario :
You are a caretaker / researcher of your chosen animal. For this you need an observation deck to accommodate these activities: study & observe, feeding, check-up, caring, etc. Draw the ergonomics of these interaction and configure the suitable space formation.
Before designing the first model, we are to search for inspirations for our model design.
My inspirations 

Model 1

For the first model, we are to determine the base model which should include formal organization and hierarchy for the design consideration. The material that we are required to use is a polystyrene with 4 m x 4 m x 4 m volume in scale of 1:25.

My formal organization based on my chosen animal is a linear/curvilinear. 
Rough sketch of what my initial model design looks like







My initial thoughts was actually to make a building which is a gallery of cobras that public could come and enjoy.

But turns out, the building that I was supposed to design wasn't for public use. And it also didn't justify my formal organization, which means that I need to come up with another design. Truthfully, I was having a tough time coming up with a design that I'm satisfied with.
                               
 
Random sketches

But after consultation and much thoughts, I finally did my first model.

A hood, body (hierarchy) and spiraling pathway

Which is inspired by this building : 

Model 2

For the second model, we are to incorporate the design language inspired from our chosen animal and make physical alterations.

 Curved body and added outer part

For this one, I decided to make my building curved inspired by a cobra's flexibility. I also change the form of my building into an octagon shape for a geometric look. The octagon was also inspired by the scaly shape from the cobra. 

My second model was inspired by these :
I wanted to do a tree void in the middle of my building
This is a void filled with plants to resemble the snake's natural habitat

MODEL 3

For the third model, we are required to determine the space and circulation of our model.
This time, we are allowed to use materials such as art cards, foamboard and sandwich foamboard.


As you can see in my third model, it was constructed with an octagon shaped plains. I decided to use staircase as the circulation around the building, I carved out the middle part of my model for the purpose of the tree void, and I perfected the outer part for my building. I also made a geometric scaly patterns for the hood. 
Geometric scaly patterned hood
The geometric scaly pattern was inspired by this building pattern
The inspiration of using plains for my construction
The outer part was inspired by these, it resembles the keyword vicious due to its sharp feature.

Model 4

For the fourth model, we are required to consider the scale of the building, determine the function of spaces in our building and incorporate anthropometric and ergonomic of animal and human interaction. 


In my fourth model, I decided not to do curved void anymore because it is difficult to construct. I built in snake cages as shown in the picture above, at the sides of the supposed tree void. It is also shown there in picture, although you can also see one because of the picture angle, the interaction between the human and animal.

Summary of transformation model 1 -  4


Model 5 

In this model, we are to incorporate our site context to our model.

My site context was a tree in the middle of the void as I had already mentioned in the beginning. 


I had to make a fake tree out of art card for this model because I was saving the tree branches for my final model. This model wasn't completely finished because it was just to show how my context would be presented in the model.

Model 6 [Final Model]

For the final model, we are required to incorporate interior fittings and complete every single element of our building for our presentation.

Here's a look at my final model and it's interior fittings :







Presentation Day



Comments